Patients undergoing EMG/Nerve Conduction Study:
1. Avoid using skin lotion or oils for about a day prior to the test.
2. It is not necessary to withhold meals prior to the test.
3. If you are on aspirin as prescribed by a doctor (e.g. for stroke or heart attach prevention) please continue taking it. Medications such as Motrin, Advil, and other similar agents should be avoided for approximately 12 hours prior to the test. Tylenol is OK to continue.
4. Extremities may be sore for about a half hour afterwards. Most people are able to return to work, but you may wish to wait until after the test to decide what is best for you.
5. The doctor performing the test will not be able to discuss the results with you, as interpretation of the test results will be carried out after you leave. A report will be sent to your referring physician who will interpret the test for you.
6. The entire test may take anywhere between 30 and 90 minutes, depending on the particular indication for the test.
If you have further questions please call Dr. Adams' office at: (310) 659-1498